Monday, June 9, 2014

Hey Man, it's Summer Vacation.

At this time, my school is on summer vacation and usually, during vacation, most people don't go back to school. Luckily, I am not like most people. I am indeed taking a class during my summer vacation. I'm fine with being at school because that means I don't have to be home alone with my dog. There are actually activities to do here... Instead of eating all of the food, watching endless hours of T.V. or YouTube episodes, or just sleeping the day away, I am taking a class, a gym class, none the less. If you know me, which you probably don't, I hate gym class, I always have. The thing is, gym during a whole semester gets boring and difficult for an out of shape teenager. I'm not competitive or outgoing in sports... at all. At the end of my junior year, I signed up to take a summer school class called Strength and Conditioning, basically a weightlifting class; well, my luck, that class wasn't offered to girls, so I got put into Healthy Lifestyle, sounds interesting and fun, right? At first, I thought that the class would be like health, do some activities in the gym and then talk about how to live a healthy life. Not at all. This is what we do in class:
8:00- School starts
8:10- Attendance is taken
8:15/8:30- We go outside to walk around the High School building. Then we walk a specified route:
  • Route 1: Down this curvy, hilly road, around Kimmswick, up Hwy. 61/67, and then back to school.
  • Route 2: Down the same curvy, hilly road, through Kimmswick, around the Elementary School, down 5th St., across 4th St., back up the curvy, hilly road, and then back to school
  • Route 3: Pass the lower tennis courts, up to the top parking lot, around the Middle School, down the sidewalk, around the Intermediate Center, and back up again. We do this circuit 3 times in a row, and if someone skips, or makes a shortcut, we have to do another lap around.
    (That happened today and it was the most infuriating thing I've ever had to do.)
9:45 (or whenever we finish the walk)- We get about a 30 minute break, that turns into almost 50 minutes, to cool down and relax.
10:50- Play some sort of activity in the gym, whether it be soccer, hockey, volleyball, basketball, parachute, bad mitten, dodge ball, or kick ball.
11:00- Lunch or if that's the only class, students can leave. 
I'm only signed up for one class, but I stay the whole day to aid in the library because our librarian is pretty neat. She's so nice and funny and personable, I'm sure I say that about a lot of people, but she's just great, and she obviously loves what she does. My job as library aid is to check in/out books from kids taking classes, shelve said books, run errands for the other teachers and just keep the librarian company.
Summer school is actually a lot of fun, but wow, walking everyday has brought me to the realization that I really need to work out and condition my body more. 

1 comment: